Saturday, November 1, 2008

An American Icon Live at the Backyard

First of all, I am sad to see the Backyard close, but I am very happy that I got to be there to see Willie Nelson close it down. For the past 16 years The Backyard has been one of the more laid back, comfortable concert venues that Austin is known for; and how could you not enjoy it with the beautiful Hill Country as a backdrop while you sway to great music. Just as it deserved, the popular venue was certainly given a proper send off. With the music starting at 3:00pm and Willie not stopping until after midnight, patrons were sure to get their money’s worth.

We got there around 5 and settled on some rocks with a group of friends and plenty of beers. From there we could easily hear the amazing sounds of The Gourds, Kelly Willis, Grupo Fantasma and Ruthie Foster, among others. And because of the group we were with I must say that I think we saw a little more action and comedy from the sidelines. Thanks for the laughs all :) When Willie finally took the stage at 10:30pm we headed in to the crowds that were surprisingly very calm and polite. Maybe it’s the Bostonian in me that is used to chaos, but it was so nice to not be pushed or stepped on while enjoying the show.

As for Willie himself, he has certainly earned being called an American Icon. This was my first time seeing him live, and I was not even alive during his younger days, but I’d say he sounds just as good and definitely knows how to keep a crowd entertained. I was surprised at how many songs I knew and could sing along to, and enjoyed every minute of the show, including when he donned a Longhorns ball cap.

Since I moved down here my boyfriend has insisted that I see Willie Nelson live, and I’ll admit that I was skeptical at first, but by the end of the show he had me won over. I don’t plan on going crazy downloading all of his songs to my ipod, but I have added a few, and will no doubt jump at the chance to see him again if I have the opportunity.

Oh one last important note: if you are at the Backyard again please watch out for the ramps and drunk suburban husbands stumbling by :)



No comments: