Sunday, November 16, 2008

The run of 1,000 smells



One of my favorite things about my office location is that it overlooks Town Lake and I am able to not only enjoy the views of it every day, but I also get to enjoy walks and runs on it most days of the week.

Now officially called Lady Bird Lake, situated in the center of downtown Austin, the lake hosts thousands of runners weekly, as well as numerous dogs and their owners, bicyclists, walkers, stroller-pushing moms and dads, visitors to Austin, squirrels, ducks and many more. There are beautiful views from the several bridges that cross it, and many landscaped areas and benches for site seeing, relaxing, or catching your breath. It is a great spot to take a quick walk, sit and think, go for a longer run, or head out in a kayak or canoe.

Every day that I’m out there I tend to notice something new, but there a couple of spots that stand out to me along the standard 4 mile Mopac loop that I typically run.

Congress Street Bridge – Home to the largest urban bat colony in North America, tourists and interested viewers line up along the bridge nightly to see the bats depart from their home. I really couldn’t believe how amazing the site actually is until I checked it out myself, and I highly recommend that it makes everyone’s Austin must see list. But I also must admit that the sounds and smells coming from under the bridge definitely make me speed up when I’m running by.
Auditorium Shores – One of the Lake’s off-leash areas has a large swimming area for the dogs as well as a welcoming grassy area, a refreshing fountain that lets off mist on very hot days, and a cozy gazebo for relaxing. I always find it entertaining to watch all of the four-legged friends playing and enjoying the water.
Zilker Park – Aside from ACL Fest, I have yet to spend much time at Zilker Park, but I do pass by it on my run and always enjoy the view. The 351 acre park hosts playgrounds, Zilker Botanical Gardens, Barton Springs Pool, The Zilker Zephyr miniature train, dog parks, picnic areas and the Hillside Theater. Many festivals are also held at the park including Austin City Limits Music Festival and the annual Zilker Park Kite Festival.
• Be sure to check out the statue of the legendary Stevie Ray Vaughan. The late, Texas-born blues guitarist played got his start in Austin, and will forever be celebrated at this “must-see” spot.
• The courtesy water coolers at Auditorium Shores and the Mopac Bridge provided by RunTex are a refreshing bonus that should be taken advantage of, especially on a steamy day.

About the title: My boyfriend dubbed Town Lake that back when he was on the Texas track team and I can’t say that I disagree. The views and peacefulness definitely make up for it, but depending on your location along the lake there are some interesting aromas that pop up – especially during bat season!

No comments: