Saturday, November 1, 2008

I'm Proud to Have Survived ACL Fest

Much like when I attended Woodstock 99, I am very glad that I went to ACL Fest 2008, but I'm also not so sure if I can handle the entire 3 days again. Yes, the music was amazing, yes I got to see a lot of my favorite bands all in one place, and yes it was a lot of fun. However, I definitely cannot party like I used, and I definitely exhaust a lot quicker than I used to. With temperatures well over 85 degrees and a blazing sun shining down on us the afternoons were very long and exhausting. But once the sun went down and things cooled off we were able to bop around and really enjoy the music and scene around us. There are by far more pros than cons to the big event and I am happy that I was a part of it. C3 Presents certainly knows how to put on a show. From an incredible line up, to excellent food options, to great people watching, there was something to do for everyone and endless amounts of entertainment. There was even plenty of places to grab some shade, water and a blast of mist, and televisions to watch the debates and football on. Even the walk from the lake to Zilker Park was exciting when we saw a man riding his bicycle wearing only a G String! It was nice to see such a variety in the crowd too, and the various attractions catered to every age group and interest.

My personal pros and cons from the fest:

PROS

The Music: John Fogarty, Okkervil River, Foo Fighters, Raconteurs, Jenny Lewis, Tristan Prettyman, Alejandro Escovado, Neko Case, Robert Plant & Alison Kraus, Vampire Weekend, Tegan & Sara
Hanging out with our friends
Good acoustics
Fun setting
Great food selection
Plenty of port-a-potties that were kept suprisingly clean
Lots of art and product vendors
Friendly staff
Zilker Park was kept very clean thanks to the green/recycling promotions
Plenty of shade to hide from the hot sun
TVs to watch the debates or football
Lots of beer stands with short lines and fast service

CONS

The dust
Way too long of a line for Hudson's on the Bend's famous cones
Blazing hot sun
Conflicting schedules of bands

In the end I know I will at least go back next year with a one day pass and highly recommend that any music fans out there check out the scene as well.


Jeff, Kristen, Maggie, Joe @ ACL Fest

Nicole Atkins and The Sea

John Fogarty



No comments: