Sunday, November 9, 2008

Celebrating The Big 3-0 in Austin

This was not my first time celebrating my birthday in Austin, but it was by far one of the better birthdays I’ve ever had. Dirty 6th didn’t seem very appropriate for my 30th so we upped the sophistication a bit and over the course of 3 days I had a great celebration! This was also no doubt the warmest birthday I’ve had. It was so nice to be able to eat outside and not freeze! Here’s a brief recap of some of the places we went to celebrate:

La Traviata (314 Congress Avenue)
On the actual night of the big birthday my beau treated me to a fabulous dinner and bottle of wine at La Traviata on Congress Street. Located in a small storefront on Congress, the atmosphere immediately reminded me of the small restaurants in Boston’s North End, and the food lived up to the expectations. Upon immediately opening the menu and struggling to narrow it down, I was hopeful of a good meal. We settled on a baby spinach and apple salad and a caprese salad (special of the day) to start, and followed up with the lasagna of the day, which was layered with perfectly cooked short ribs, and the spaghetti Bolognese, that nicely blended veal, beef and lamb to create an aromatic and tasty sauce. We were very satisfied and stuffed after devouring our meals, but had to end with dessert so we settled on the waiter’s recommendation of tiramisu. Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts and this was one of the best I’ve had. It was topped with toasted hazelnuts that it made it slightly unique and that much more delicious! The service was great and the prices are very forgiving, with most dishes priced under $20. In the end I would definitely agree with the City Search reviews and recommend La Traviata to anyone else looking for a nice and affordable Italian meal.

Z’Tejas (1110 West 6th Street)
My marketing team was kind enough to take me to a fabulous birthday lunch and with the lovely warm sunny weather we were able to enjoy our meal form a patio table. Dubbed a Southwestern Grill I love Z’Tejas for its mix if traditional tex mex and more unique menu offerings. The atmosphere is also very bright and welcoming and I have never had a bad meal or drink there. This time around I tried the artichoke, mushroom and chicken stacks, and they were just as great as the other meals I have tried there. With such a great atmosphere, menu and drink selection Z’Tejas is definitely a spot that should not be missed by anyone visiting Austin.

Trudy’s North Star Restaurant (8820 Burnet Road)
Trudy’s is where the real fun began when a bunch of our friends got together to continue the celebration. Known for its lethal Mexican Martinis, Trudy’s is another Austin hot spot that should not be missed. Is it a martini with tequila, or a margarita minus the ice and plus olives? Made from tequila, cointreau, orange and lime juice, and served in a salt rimmed matrini glass with olives, regardless of what you call it, this Austin staple is delicious and cannot be missed. Don’t be fooled by the 2 per person limit either. These massive drinks will fill your glass about 6 times and pack a very good punch! A couple of rounds of these plus some other tasty cocktails and our group was definitely having a good time. Oh there was a yummy snickers cake too!

The food at Trudy’s is also great, and the prices are just as good. The offer a wide range of standard tex mex fair, as well as a few twists, which they dub Southern Specialties. Regardless of what you’re in the mood for, the flavors are always great and the portions are huge! My favorites are the queso especial, chile relleno, enchiladas and stuffed avocado. The enchiladas are served custom style so you pick your fillings and sauces. They come two to a plate, but it only costs $1.00 to add more. Trudy’s is one of my favorite spots in Austin and I can’t wait to go back again!

Thank you to everyone that participated in my birthday celebrations. I really appreciate it and it was definitely a memorable birthday!

No comments: